Snowmobile Helmet Buyers Guide

Welcome to our snowmobile helmet buyers guide. You can use this guide to get an idea as to the type of snowmobile helmet will best suit you on your snowmobile ride.

 A.Types of snowmobile helmets - 

  1. Modular snowmobile helmets - This is the most popular type. These helmets have the unique feature of the entire front of the helmet can be flipped up when needed. This type of helmet is popular with people who wear glasses or are claustrophobic. Many of these have ear pockets for communications equipment as well. All come fitted with a breath box and either a dual lens snow shield or a dual lens electric snow shield. A few of these modular snowmobile helmets are available with an internal sun visor you can flip up and down.

  2. Full face snowmobile helmets - Since its a snow helmet, it comes with a dual lens shield and a breath box. This is what makes it different from a motorcycle helmet. The dual lens shield and breath box help reduce the chance of shield fogging by directing your breath out of the helmet. Some helmets come with a sun visor either inside or outside the helmet. The visor can be flipped up when not needed.

  3. Snocross helmets - Are similar to motocross helmet. The difference is that you'll have the option of using a breath box and of course goggles. The breath box helps to keep your nose and face warm and direct your breath outside the helmet.

  4. Dual sport snowmobile helmets -  These helmets combine elements of a full face snowmobile helmet with those of a snocross helmet. For example, they come with the standard breath box, are fitted with either a dual lens snow shield or an electric snow shield, but in addition they have the duckbill visor over the eye port. 

 B. Supplemental shields for snowmobile helmets - 

  1. Electric shields - An electric shield can be used to further reduce fogging. Some helmets come pre-fitted with an electric shield. In other cases you can purchase an electric shield as an optional shield. All electric shields come with the cord you'll need to hook it up to your power source on your sled. Wiring the cord to your sled is not difficult. How to wire it will depend on the type of sled you have.

   2. Tinted shields - Some models of helmet have an optional tinted shield available. These are the dual lens shield that have a tint on them to reduce sun glare.

 C. Head coverings and face masks

   1. Balclavas - These are like a sock for your entire head but with a hole cut out for your eyes. They are thin and provide a layer of protection from the cold. Some are more extensive and can cover down your neck and even onto your shoulders.

   2. Fog evader - This is a unique item. It covers your nose, mouth, chin and parts of your cheeks. Its designed for cold environments to keep your face warm.

  D. Fitment:

  1. Determining correct fitment is important. Since you are shopping online, you'll have to reference the manufacturers sizing chart. Do not guess as to what size you take. These sizing charts work for 80% of the people out there. The remaining 20% can use the sizing chart as a rough guideline, but will probably need to go up or down a size. We provide fitment charts on each products page.

  2. Special note - If you have a really big head, you are better off shopping in person as you will be difficult to fit. There is only one manufacturer who produces really large size snowmobile helmets, that is HJC. HJC snowmobile helmet models available in larger sizes are the CL-17 and IS-Max 2.  

 E. Manufacturers of snowmobile helmets include:

Where to buy your next snowmobile helmet

Your choices for places to shop are:

  • Find a local dealer that carries snowmobile helmets
  • Order your snowmobile helmet from a mail order company

If you decide to order your helmet via mail order, then visit our snowmobile helmet department. It features brand name snowmobile helmets.